- 147 Foot Draw Span
- Length: 887 Feet (Estimated)
- Width: 20 Feet (Estimated)
Edward Kraemer & Sons
CANADIAN PACIFIC RAILROAD BRIDGE
La Crosse, WI
This bridge was one of the first 15 bridges to cross the Mississippi River. The bridge was built as a truss bridge in 1876 and was replaced with a swing span in 1902, which was removed in 2004 and replaced with a bascule draw lift bridge. This is the only draw bridge on the Mississippi River. It mainly serves recreational boat traffic, much of it generated by the nearby marinas. The bridge operates an estimated 2,000 times per year.
The Black River was once a separate river that converged into the Mississippi River near downtown La Crosse. When Lock & Dam #7 was built, the Mississippi River captured the Black River about 10 miles upstream. The Black River channel remains wetlands in areas, is used as farmland in some areas, and the three miles now carry the combined Mississippi and Black River flows.
This bridge is part of four bridges that make up the La Crosse railroad crossing. These bridges are, moving east, the Main Channel Rail Bridge, East Channel Rail Bridge, French Slough Rail Bridge and the Black River Channel Rail Bridge. These bridges were built by the Milwaukee Road, which merged with the Soo Line, which has since been bought out by the Canadian Pacific Railway. The La Crosse rail bridge is one of three places that the Amtrack Empire Builder passenger train crosses the Mississippi River (the other two are Hastings, MN, and Little Falls, MN).
Faith Technologies’ scope for this project included installing all electrical for rolling bascule single leaf railroad-bridge including controls, main motors, limit switches, submarine cabling, emergency generator, new service, lightning protection and navigational lighting.