Do We Need “Make a Difference Day”?
National Make a Difference Day has been recognized as a national day of service since 1992. On the fourth Saturday in October, people from all walks of life join together to help improve the lives of others through volunteering, food drives and acts of kindness.
Making a difference is something that many people do every day, whether it is through their work, parenting, or just lifting people up when they are feeling down. So why do we need a specific day to focus on making a difference? This year, Faith Technologies decided to jump in and find out.
Community Captains at each of our major branch locations organized charitable giving opportunities for employees in their communities. Seven of our locations participated on or around Oct. 26, including:
- Green Bay, WI: Made a donation to the American Red Cross to purchase smoke alarms, and will be participating in a future Sound the Alarm installation event.
- Fox Cities, WI: Sponsored a ‘Give Back Bus’ volunteer day where several employees took part in a service project that impacts area youth.
- Milwaukee, WI: Organized a food drive during the month of October to benefit the Food Pantry of Waukesha County.
- Madison, WI: Coordinated a clothing drive and made a donation to C.A.R.D.S. Closet to support families in need in the area.
- Kansas City, MO: Purchased food and volunteered at the Ronald McDonald House.
- Atlanta, GA: Employees volunteered to pack food for the Atlanta Community Food Bank. They also held a blood drive in October with 32 employees donating blood, saving almost 100 lives!
- Nashville, TN: Made a donation to Operation Stand Down and are planning a future volunteer day for employees.
Our teams discovered that volunteering together outside of work creates camaraderie that stems from a deep sense of fulfilment through making a difference. Participating in group activities that include a memorable experience creates a bond that is unlike any other team-building activity. We gain a new appreciation for our coworkers, a feeling of pride in our company and a sense of belonging in our communities.
Faith Technologies has always encouraged volunteering in our communities, but our teams have never before been a part of a national effort with other businesses, organizations and individuals all joining together to make a difference. It is inspiring to know that the collective impact of this day will improve the lives of thousands of people throughout the country and was a great reminder that we can accomplish so much more together than we can by ourselves. That in itself is an excellent reason to designate a special day to make a difference!
< Back to Blog
If you enjoyed this blog article, please subscribe to stay up to date on the latest industry news from our experts at Faith Technologies.